Do you ever come home from a tough day at work with a stiff neck? A stiff neck can make your whole body feel uncomfortable. Here are a few tips on how to soothe a stiff neck.
- Eat pineapple. Pineapple is rich in a powerful enzyme called bromelain. This enzyme has been proven to reduce swelling and help you heal taster from musculoskeletal woes.
- Exhale slowly. The primary place in which we hold tesion is the neck-and-shoulder area. If you can lengthen the time in which you exhale (to a count of seven) after taking a deep breath, you can help relieve the tightness in your neck and shoulders that trigger pain.
- Apply heat. You can ease your neck and shoulder pain by applying an electric heating pad. Research has shown that you'll get better relief by applying the heat for at least 30 minutes, rather than in short bursts.
- Choose the right pillow. When you sleep, you need to keep your neck in its natural alignment throughout the night. This will make you much less likely to wake up with a stiff neck or shoulder pain. Experts say you should pick a pillow based on your sleeping position. If you sleep on your stomach, choose a soft and thin pillow. If you sleep on your back, go for a medium-firm pillow. If you sleep on your side, then you'll need a very firm pillow.
- Rest your forearms. If you work at a computer all day, you should place a foam or rubber forearm rest in front of your keyboard. This will help reduce the stress on your neck and shoulders and will therefore cut pain triggered by long hours at a computer by almost half.
- Take fish oil supplements. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil can help quell inflammation enough to wean nearly 60% of neck pain patients off of painkillers, according to a recent study. The recommended dosage is 1,200 mg. daily.